Sunday, October 7, 2007

About "Bartering"

Yes, when I think of the word barter, the word delegate immediately strikes. Wouldn't the world be a better place, if we could hire an assistant to get our bodies in shape for us? I wish I could find a way to arrange for this out of personal interest and the desire to make billions.

It just doesn't work that way when it comes to getting our bodies in shape or when we're trekking to wellness, health and becoming thin. So how does
"bartering" relate to personal responsibility for losing weight, getting in shape?

IMHO, this is what I've come up with. I've explained in the last posts about getting my body involved in the process. Instead of making this all about my "social" self being a mental control freak; my body is ready to happily assume the responsibility. I don't necessarily hop out of bed and say, "Whoopee, I'm heading to the gym". Still not there yet. But on the other hand, I don't whittle the day away with so many other things that the time to exercise evaporates. My body willingly gives up an hour to an hour and a half every day to cardio and strengthening. I'm certainly not ready to be anyone's personal trainer or to train for a marathon. However, the good news is that I haven't stopped going to the gym. After three weeks, I can proudly say that I'm a regular. Have I lost the 70 pounds yet? Nope. However, giving the body a chance to rule the day has kept me in the game and even though I don't want to make all this about losing weight. The "Four Day Win" philosophy, developed by Dear Dr. Beck, is about transformation of any habit, practice, etc. The book just happens to apply it to weight loss. It's not about transforming the scale.

Okay, now that I've finished that preamble, I am walking around with eight less pounds. I weigh every Saturday just to make adjustments, if the scale is going up or stays the same. The scale is just another source of information.....not something to become depressed over, cursed over, thrown across the room, etc. I go for clothes fit more than the scale now to determine if my body's decisions are working.

So bottom line, let your body do the work...give it time to get ready. No hesitation about "Contemplation"!

No comments: